Tel.: +49 (0)5141 12-4515
First mentioned in 1318, from its origins as a simple castle it was transformed in the following centuries into a magnificent residence for the dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg. The four-wing construction reveals both from the exterior and the interior stylistic elements from the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods.
The palace which is integrated in the historical “Old Town”, reflects in its construction phases the development from a castle to a ducal palace.
From all periods of use building structures remain: the medieval castle, the knights’ hall, the baroque state chambers, the baroque theatre.
The palace chapelwith its early Protestant fittings is important evidence for Renaissance art in northern Germany and can only be visited during a guided tour of the Guelph Palace, as well as the palace kitchen which its equipment bears witness to the 19th century. Thus the palace provides a chronicle of the ducal residence documented in stone.
In the Residence Museum located in the Palace local and regional history comes to life. A permanent exhibition presents the history of the ducal residence, life and work of the Guelphic dukes, the fate of the Danish queen Caroline Mathilda, the history of the Kingdom of Hanover and much more.
Further information about the Ducal Palace in Celle.