The park connects the ramparts of Hildesheim with the central recreation area Hohnsensee. In the 13th century, the Benedictine monastery of St. Godehard laid out a vineyard there. After secularization at the beginning of the 19th century, the park became the property of the city of Hildesheim. In 1843 it was sold to the Dyes family, who built a villa and laid out the garden in the English landscape style. Since 1929 it has been a public park.