Hildesheim, located 30 kilometers south of Hanover, has many highlights to offer. Hildesheim is renowned for its unique churches and cultural monuments. St. Michael’s and the Cathedral, were recognized as a joint UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985 , are gems of church architecture and world famous for their art treasures. At the Dom, these include the Bernward Door cast in bronze and the Christ Column, two objects bearing witness of Bishop Bernward’s amazing creative power. The Cathedral museum features an internationally significant collection of mediaeval art and the cathedral treasure, also listed as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage. Another sight to attract great interest is the legendary 1000-year-old rosebush climbing the cathedral’s apsis. St. Michael’s church, with its monumental 13thcentury ceiling painting showing the family tree of Christ, is considered one of the most beautiful early Roman-style churches in Germany.The historic Market Square fascinates visitors to the city, as they are swept away to a different era by the view of the faithfully reconstructed buildings. A further impressive feature is the city’s museums, which house top-class precious exhibits of art history. The Roemer- und Pelizaeus- Museum tempts visitors with its important ancient Egyptian and ancient Peruvian collections as well as its spectacular special exhibits.
HILDESHEIM – Disover the UNESCO World Heritage City
Hildesheim Cathedral Museum
The Hildesheim Cathedral Museum showcases outstanding exhibits of treasury art belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage.
Tuesday to Sunday 11 am to 5 pm
closed at December 24 and December 31.
The Roemer-Pelizaeus Museum is home to one of the largest collections of ancient Egyptian art in Europe. Other permanent displays take visitors on an exciting trip into the past to explore how the Earth came to be and the development of the human race. Richly decorated ceramic vessels, precious jewellery and colourful fabrics illustrate the widely diverse pre-Spanish cultures of ancient Peru
Holiday flair and beach feeling in the city centre of Hildesheim.
Christmas Market in HildesheimThe historic market square: this is where the heart of the Christmas market in Hildesheim beats.
9 special tips:
- Guided city tours, themed tours and tours in period costume
- Puzzle fun for two or more people: Escape tour through Hildesheim
- Circular routes “Rose route” and “Welterbeband” (around the UNESCO World heritage) take you to the city’s most important sights
- Street art in Hildesheim (free folder available at the tourist information)
- Cycling over 460km in Hildesheim and the region
- Theatre for Lower Saxony – drama, dance, concerts and readings
- Varied special exhibitions in the Hildesheim museums
- Christmas Market in front of historic backdrop
- Visit of the St Andreas Church Tower for a 360° panoramic view
Hildesheim Marketing GmbH
Rathausstraße 20 (Tempelhaus)
Tel.: +49 (0)51 21/17 98-0
Fax: +49 (0)51 21/17 98-88