Sustainable, green and a high quality of life: getting around in Hannover
In 2018, Hannover was distinguished as the most sustainable large city in Germany with the Germany Sustainability Award. The quality of life within the city is appropriately high. You can find endless green landscapes in the Eilenriede, the largest city forest in Europe, in the Herrenhausen Gardens and all around the Leine and Ihme rivers and Lake Maschsee. Numerous cycle paths and a well-developed public transport network makes it easy to travel sustainably in Hannover.
Hannover provides great possibilities for bike tours within the city and of course in the region. Canoe tours enable you to discover the city from the water. The city’s various neighbourhoods have many little shops and restaurants with regional, sustainable and fair trade items.
Hannover is an important transport hub within Europe. Thanks to the fast ICE connections, travelling by train is one of the most comfortable and of course sustainable options.
– There are around 1,000 kilometres of cycle paths in Hannover and the region
– HannoverCard: Discover many attractions in Hannover and the region sustainably using local public transport.
– There are weekly markets with regional, seasonal and organic produce in many areas of the city
– Hannoccino: Hannover’s reusable cups for takeaway drinks.
– Cafés, restaurants and shops featuring sustainable and organic items in the ‘scene’ district of Linden
– The Upcyclingbörse (market) at the Glocksee cult venue
– Moving around on the water: Rowing, paddling or pedal-boating on Lake Maschsee; canoe tours on the Ihme and Leine rivers.
– Book the Ridesharing Service offered by the VW subsidiary Moja conveniently via the app.
– The ‘Hannover living – Smart & sustainable’ brochure contains many further tips.
Hannover Marketing und Tourismus GmbH
+49 511 12345-111